Monday 4 March 2013

Day 5 Part 2: Marks'n'Sparks - for all one's undergarment needs

This morning we took a brisk walk from our flat to Oxford Street, home of the department store Marks and Spencer, now known officially as M and S, in deference to busy people who simply don't have time in their busy lives for extra syllables.  While M & S has a reputation for quality, it reminds me of Fosseys - comforting and just a bit daggy.  But it's good quality stuff, especially their underpants.  While I loitered among the pants, Geoff went to a soccer shop across the high street and made a wretched sales assistant climb 20 metres up a ladder to dig out a soccer jersey that he then rejected for a cheaper model off the ground-level rack. :-)

Purchases in hand, we then walked 500 miles ('it's just a bit further,' said Geoff every 50 miles or so) to Leicester Square to buy tickets for a Wednesday night performance of Agatha Christie's play  'The Mousetrap', which is in its 60th year of non-stop production.

After a burger and beer for lunch, we limped to Covent Garden to see the London Transport Museum. Here's a pic of Geoffy driving a London bus:



It was quite a good museum with a lot of history about the creation of the Underground network and other forms of transport, including horse-drawn buses and sedan chairs.  I was wishing I had a sedan chair to rest my weary varicose veins.  Geoff reckons I am gritting my teeth in the following pic, as though I would rather have been anywhere but the London Transport Museum:


 But I did actually think it very interesting in parts, and I don't mean in a Curate's egg sort of way.  Also, I found a pound coin that someone had lost, so that was a bonus.

In my earlier post I revealed that we had this morning washed our smalls.  I also washed a pair of jeans and other winter weight trousers.  I am pleased to report that on return from today's outings, all our laundry, which we had strewn over chairs and other items of furniture, was bone dry. That will give some idea of how over-heated this flat is! 

Lastly, here is a pic (thoughtfully sent to me by Susie) of my beautiful dogs Billie and Rebel:

  Woof!

No comments:

Post a Comment